I'm still a beginner in needle lace, and ready to start Pattern 5 from
the Guild of Needle Lace Basic Book. It's a bird, looks like a Toucan
or something tropical.

I'd like to do it with several colors - yellow for the bill, white for
the face, blue feathers, but I'm not sure about how to begin.

When I couch my trace threads to begin, should I couch with the color
I expect to use when I do my final top stitching? If I do, I think it
would be best to join it all together as I work, using a crochet hook
to go under and make things secure.

Should I simply couch it all in one color, and hope I can cover it all
with the top stitching? Keep it simple?

Another question is how do I decide in which order to work the
different sections? My pieces have all been simple, but as they get
more complex, I keep wondering where to begin, and what comes next? Do
I want to avoid working over the top of already finished sections? Do
I start in the center and work my way out? Does it vary from piece to
piece and just do what I want?

Thanks for any input you have. I'm working from books without a live
person nearby. Liz in Oz has answered a lot of my questions off list,
but I hate to pester her all the time. So now I'm asking the Arachne
List!

Lenore in Grand Rapids, Michigan

12F above zero. Brrrr!

http://tatt3r-lace.blogspot.com

you can see my recent needle lace projects