jpartri...@pebble.demon.co.uk writes:

> Could they have formed the first pair wound

Unlikely.  Mum was of the school to wind her bobbins in pairs, and as I
remember there was a *pair* working the cloth stitch fans.  Different enough to
tell one from the other, but bought as a pair - like different pictures or
whatever.  There was also a partner bobbin on the pillow for the other one,
but that had separated doing half stitch.

As I said, we puzzled over it for several evenings, and all the while
Malvary had to keep retwisting those two bobbins to stop them falling off.

Jacquie