To: "Laurie Waters" <lswaters...@comcast.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2010 7:49 AM
Subject: Re: [lace] The Tudors - costumes

Do you have the citation for the quote? It's excellent, and I talk about this when I do demos of early lace.
Thanks,
Barbara

On 03/21/2010 7:54 AM, Laurie Waters wrote:
I haven't seen this year's installments, left off last year just at the Kathryn Howard stage, in the year 1540. The first early pattern books don't mention 'cutwork' until 1542 - and they were basically embroidery patterns. The first real reticella patterns didn't appear until the 1560's. There are no portraits of Henry or his wives or Edward or Mary wearing lace, in face Reticella doesn't even appear in portraits of Elizabeth until about 1575. So the fact that the series shows lace before 1540 is wrong. I like the series, the forms of the costums are basically accurate, but the embellishments go way beyond fact, especially for jewelry. Lace was probably made in England before the first wave of protestant immigrants in 1563, but it is very hard to trace. Thomas Fuller writing in 1662 says about bobbinlace: Modern the use thereof in England, not exceeding the middle of the reign of queen Elizabeth: let it not be condemned for a superfluous wearing, because it doth neither hide nor heat, seeing it doth adorn. Besides, though private persons pay for it, it stands the State in nothing; not expensive of bullion, like other lace, costing nothing save a little thread descanted on by art and industry. Hereby many children, who otherwise would be burthensome to the parish, prove beneficial to their parents. Yea, many lame in their limbs, and impotent in their arms, if able in their fingers, gain a livelihood thereby; not to say that it saveth some thousands of pounds yearly, formerly sent over seas to fetch lace from Flanders.
Laurie