Interesting comment about the heddles. Lace collectors go after these things because of a story that they are connected with lace. Gertrude Whiting describes them in Old-Time Toys and Tools of Needlework (1928). Even though she makes her doubts known, she's responsible for many lace collectors looking for these things today. The idea would have been that it was a winder for lace, and she even tries to speculate how a piece would be threaded through the slats. She says they were a traditional gift in Alencon to lacemakers. It's pretty obvious to weavers that this is a small heddle, and I have no idea where this story originated before Whiting, but they often have been labled as 'lace winders' in auctions. Personally I think there may have been a real traditional Alencon gift that might have a lot more credibility - something known as a 'spool winder'. It's a small metal or wood spool in a holder - there are examples in a Dover reprint called 'Decorative Ironwork' that attributes them to Alencon. I'm pretty sure I know how they might have been used. I've just agreed to teach a class in Alencon lace technique at the Minneapolis IOLI convention in 2012, although the details haven't been entirely worked out. I'll be going over a lot of this in the class. Laurie