Hi all, I would like your views. Though I am a supplier this is not
promoting any thing I sell but I think Lace makers need to express an opinion
on.
The people who make many of the pins in the world have been looking for a
long time at the problem of brass pins tarnishing. they tell me they are

I'm not sure but from my experience of pins I think how quickly they  tarnish
may depend on the proportions of the metals in the mix used for brass pins. I
have some old Diadem pins given to me by an elderly lacemaker who had
purchased them in 1942. They have the normal tarnish but show no corrosion,
whereas I have other pins stored and used under the same conditions that were
showing corrosion within 3 years and have since been thrown out. One supplier
tried to tell me the reason for my corrosion was salt in the air and, yes, I
live 15 miles from the sea. However my friends in Houston and Dallas do not,
their environment is vastly different but had the same problems.

Hope this helps. Arachne has members with such a wide variety of skills I am
sure we should be able to find an answer between us. Another point (sorry for
the pun), please will you ask the manufacturer to make the 'points' longer so
that the pins enter more easily. I find many of the currently available pins
have short points and need more pressure to force them through the pillow
fabric.

Let us know the outcome. I'm sure there must be an answer somewhere.

Happy lacemaking

Alex