I know this is a little past its prime, but I knew I'd seen it somewhere,
and I found the references again this morning while browsing my 1860 Godey
Lady's book.

I found several references to the decorative hairwork and they refer to
specific braids and use a certain 'bobbin' or list how many bobbins (I
forget, as I just skimmed those pages).  But they made bracelets and all
sorts from decorative hair braiding.

Sorry, can't scan it as the binding is too tight and it's a large volume and
still in decent shape for its age.

I also came across the quaint little piece about pillow lace - I think it's
a report of what was seen on a travel.

Helen in Duvall, WA