Dear Lace Buyers,

Back 12 years ago, when OIDFA met in Belgium, I consulted a local expert on
 the labeling of new lace for sale in Antwerp.  I was told that if it said
"Belgian Lace", it could be from other countries where there were
lacemakers  making the traditional Belgian laces.  Further, Arachne
correspondence
revealed that a person on the list had a daughter whose job was to remove the
 country-of-origin labels on imported-to-Belgium laces, and replace them
with the  "Belgian Lace" label.

I was told that if the label said "Made in Belgium", that had to be
correct.

So, there were two possible ways of labeling new lace for sale in the lace
shops!
---------------------------------

A few years later, OIDFA met in Sweden.  We were in a lace shop in
Vadstena where many were buying patterns for lace.  I went to the  shopkeeper
and
asked if I could purchase the finished example on display.   She said that it
was shopworn, but she had a new piece that she could sell me --  and she
did.  Of course, I had to dash to a bank for more money, but it was  worth it
to a lace collector (myself) interested in having a authentic piece of  lace
"Made in Sweden".  I bought the pattern, too.

In Bath, England, 2007 I was able to purchase lace made in Sri Lanka at the
 museum house known as the Jane Austen Centre.  They were supporting
relief fund raising for victims of the tsunami.  This has been extensively
discussed on Arachne, and may be in the archives.

It is possible to buy Hungarian Halas lace in Kiskunhalas, Hungary, and in
very high end shops in Budapest.   This has been discussed on Arachne
before.

Laces were for sale in the Czech Republic, when we took the tour of that
country after a OIDFA Congress.

In the sales rooms of OIDFA congresses, it is also possible that some
vendors will sell new laces made in various countries.

In the U.S. almost 20 years ago, my local lace guild was visited by a
lacemaker from Russia.  Tourists were not permitted to bring much money  with
them, so she brought laces (which we were very happy to buy).

Arachne has received correspondence from a woman in South America who wrote
 about laces for sale from that region of the world.
----------------------------------

Do not completely believe lacemakers who are isolated from the  rest of the
world (they do not know what lacemakers elsewhere are doing).   Do not
believe the fools representing print and broadcast media.  They  usually do not
do research.  Let common sense be your guide.  Be sure  to closely examine
laces you are considering purchasing.  If you belong to  a local guild with a
library that receives bulletins from other nations, even if  you cannot
read the languages you can often see that laces are made for  sale.  I
recommend the bulletins of The Lace Guild (U.K.) and OIDFA, both  of which are
published in English.  They carry many articles about laces  around the world.

Hope this will help our novice traveling lace collectors.

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource  Center