From: owner-l...@arachne.com [mailto:owner-l...@arachne.com] On Behalf Of
lynrbai...@desupernet.net
Sent: 28 May 2010 21:11
To: lace@arachne.com
Subject: [lace] Pricking material

    I do not actually make a lot of lace, for a number of reasons, so re-use of
a pricking is immaterial to me.  I tend to simply photocopy the pricking in the
book on ordinary copy paper, and then, if it is a large pricking, I will use
the blue film to attach it to the pillow. I have made Torchon bookmarks from
photocopied prickings with great success.

     I have also purchased a packet of card stock from Staples, an office
supply chain, and copied the pricking from the book onto that.  The copier at
the office is excellent, was free, and there was no chance of any distortion.
At Staples, you can find 100 sheets of 8inches x 11 1/2inches card stock of
varying colors and thickness, and I picked one that seemed right to me.

     Traditionally, of course, one used thick glazed card stock for prickings
because the pricking was used over and over, perhaps for years, and it needed
to be sturdy.  This is also true when one is going to copy a pricking with a
pricker, pricking each hole and so on.  If all you're doing is going down the
hall to the copier, and spend a minute or two, the need for something to last
through a lot of use disappears.

     Which brings me to my question.  Assuming the copy machine is accurate,
and that you're only going to use the pattern once, is there any other reason
not to photocopy?  Or has this been discussed before I joined?

     The distinction between non-commercial production of lace, and the
commercial production of lace comes into play in many areas of lacemaking.  It
behooves us to keep that as a factor when discussing the methods used to make
lace.

Lyn in Pennsylvania, US, where our Memorial Day weekend is going to have mixed
periods of rain and sun.