I'd appreciate some help from the lace experts on this list. I bought this
lace recently: http://tinyurl.com/36v5vo8

The ground is a plain torchon
ground (not Flanders), so you see the relative coarseness of the thread
compared to the incredibly fine threads of the 18th C. Also the lace itself is
relatively "crisp"--clearly has never been washed, used, or even much handled.
It is linen. The ends are cut, however, and it's a nice long piece, so I don't
think it's someone's recent working sample.

With the beautiful design and
nice workmanship I think I am ok with my purchase, but would appreciate input
as to what kind of lace you would call it, and what age you would put on it.
For example, I wouldn't call it Mechlin, in spite of the gimp around the
cloth-stitch areas, simply because it doesn't have the Mechlin ground
anywhere. When I bid on it, I thought from the photos (with an untrained eye)
that the ground was old Flanders 4-pair whole stitch ground, which is why I
bought it. Now I am puzzled and don't have my lace identification books with
me.

TIA for your help!

Nancy Neff
Connecticut, USA, in the SW section of CT
that was nearly blown away Thursday-tornados!!

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]

Reply via email to