Congratulations Claire.

Delighted to hear about the jabots, I agree with Aurelia about the choice of
fabric.

I visited the Books on Demand machine at Blackwells in Charing Cross Road,
London, and was very impressed by how ell everything has been worked out. If
you wish to have a book printed the format must be a little smaller than A4 as
a sheet of A3 is used for the cover, and that includes the spine. The whole
book must be a single pdf document. I took a few pages of mine as pdfs on a
USB which were set as A4. He plugged in the USB and checked the size and
thinks there may be sufficient margin allowance, so I will go ahead and he
will make a final check when it goes in. Otherwise I will have to re-jig
everything. I also have to supply a separate pdf document of both covers and
spine set up as A3.  The set up fee is £35 and I receive the first copy free.
After that the system, obviously designed to keep their accounting cost to the
absolute minimum, they supply books only to me. I place an order, pay for it
and am sent the books. Since I am the only person allowed to order and that
many of the books they will be printing will be to such a limited number of
people it is likely that some authosrs will know almost all their readers and
would soon know if other copies were supplied. Each book will cost about twice
that of having a normal print of 1000 books, but as I will not have to pay for
1000 books up front and will not have to store them it is acceptable.
Unfortunately my profit margin will be much smaller tnah for a regular book
and suppliers will not be able to have the discounts they are used to. This
may mean that BOD produced produced books will not be available through
suppliers but only directly from the author. I will be going ahead, probably
sometime in the autumn and let you know what happens.

Keep lacemaking

Alex

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]

Reply via email to