Some things to consider:

In English, a first meaning of lace is a string thing that lassos
(encloses). eg shoelace.
'braid' is a way to make a 'lace' and braid on a military uniform is often
referred to as 'military lace' (we've gone down this road before on arachne
LOL).

The English word for the textile 'lace' in the several other languages I
know of, is la dentelle (like a tooth) in French, die spitze ('sharp') in
German, kant ('side' - edging perhaps) in Dutch; and those terms relate to
the appearance of the textile.

I don't know how the term for lace diversified from its meaning as a cord,
or a functional string, to include a textile graced with holes. But there
we have it.

'point' is a term for 'stitch'