In message <002401cb1a6c$77f7cdb0$67e769...@com.au>, Ruth Budge <thelacema...@optusnet.com.au> writes
It is Australian Federal law which prevents the Australian Lace Guild or any
other organisation within Australia, from giving out contact details for
members.

Similarly with the Data Protection Act here in the UK - contact details can only be passed on with permission - hence when taking leaflets about a lace day (a few years ago) into the Tourist Information Bureau (which is run by the town council), because they had my details on, I had to complete a form giving them permission to pass on my information.

Could it be that in some cases where people have received unexpected copies of the magazine, someone they know may have filled in a "please send one to my friend...." section (or even simply filled out the request for sample in the friend's name rather than their own) and then forgot to tell said friend that they had done so?

--
Jane Partridge