I will have to try to end a bookmark with the josephine knots...  It would look
pretty....

Faye

----- Original Message -----
From: hottl...@neo.rr.com
To: lace@arachne.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:38:17 AM
Subject: [lace] knotting shuttles,  Josephine knots

Hello All!  Finally caught up with my tatting friend by phone last night.  She
lives in eastern Ohio & teaches tatting in both Ohio & Pennsylvania.  She
commented that not only were knotting shuttles highly decorative (jeweled,
inlaid, carved etc), they were often given by gentlemen as a token of
endearment.  Her collection of vintage shuttles includes carved/etched
mother-of-pearl, bone, tortoise shell etc. but none for knotting, so we
wondered whether they might be rather expensive?  We hope to meet for lunch
this fall so I will take the 18th C Embr. Techn. book & give it a try using a
Tatsy (??) if I haven't found a knotting shuttle by then.  As to the Josephine
knots, she finishes tatted bookmarks with them.  The twining cord makes for a
charming, vintage look.  Although she is not a member of arachne, she was very
complimentary as she had met Mark somewhere.  She mentioned a gentleman from
Holland who tats & designs as well.  In the meantime, let's see if the library
can
  find The Art of Tatting, circa 1910!  Sincerely, Susan in Erie, PA