I don't remember which teacher it was, or the book she authored.
But any one could 'draw a pattern' of a fan stick, and cut repeated copies of
it.
I do recall that her fan sticks were much wider than normal - they were shaped
with a flower silouette of the flower featured in the fam behind each flower.
She had cut repeated shapes (about 8?) from acrylic sheets similar to overhead
projector sheets.  There was a pivot hole cut in each one and a gromet
fastener through the hole.
I wonder if templet plastic (think quilting templets) would work.  She did say
it was cut with regular scissors/shears.  Her plastic was clear, and she
mentioned it being easy to obtain in sheets similar in size to printer paper.
I believe it was the instructor with the Miricort Jewelry and special cord she
used.  I can't find my Convention materials just now but maybe someone else is
better organized than I am.

Lorri