The thought of using laminator film or the acetate sheet used for the front cover of comb-bound booklets for the not-intended purpose of fan sticks reminded me of other things we see another use for , such as the wire spiral from note books to keep bobbins secure on the pillow, and a battery operated drinks swizzler and thread reel centre to make an electric bobbin winder.

I have an antique miser's purse and wanted to crochet or knit one from an old pattern, but the problem was finding two rings to slide up and down the centre part to open and close the slit through which coins are inserted and removed. Found the answer by chance 2 days ago when buying tap (faucet) washers in the plumbing department of my local DIY store - olives (think they're called ferrules in the USA) which are compression rings used to seal the joint in two pieces of pipe. They are available in several diameters 10mm (3 eigths of an inch) to at least 20mm (3 quarters of an inch) and quarter of an inch (1.4mm) thick, copper, which can be silver plated with silver plating repair paste, or brass (will also substitute for gold). As is usually the way, I've been looking for something suitable for a couple of years and came across these purely by chance.

What else has anyone found another use for - I think Eve Morton used large jewellery making split rings to fit over the top of glass Christmas baubles to hold her lace decoration in place. http://www.cyberlink.co.uk/pblc/pattern.htm

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK