Hi:

I have a little problem with any craft that involves cutting up something that is not easily replaceable. In hindsight the destruction can be terrible. For example, many very early books (even some illuminated medieval manuscripts) were destroyed in the 19th century because it was a popular children's amusement to cut them up to get the pretty decorated initials out, which were then glued into little albums. Sigh.

But think of the millions of yards of machine lace that have been made. Some designs are very pretty but they're still not museum pieces. This merchant is selling the lace at about $10 to $15 a yard, so she probably paid about half that (or less) to acquire the lace. Some of it may be a treasure but what I see on the website doesn't seem to be. If she can buy it for $5 a yard, why shouldn't she, and why shouldn't she then cut it up and sell it if she can?

Of course there's always the possibility that she'll find some wonderful 18th-century piece for two dollars at a garage sale, buy it and cut it up, but how would you stop her from doing that? I personally don't want to create a society where somebody has the power to stop me from doing what I want with my own stuff.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)

This site raises the question to me of selling cut-off
pieces of antique lace.

I can think of arguments both for & against this
practice.

What do those of you on Arachne think about it?