Hi Alice:

Ouch. So sorry this happened. The suggestion of contacting the manufacturer is
really good, because what you need to use to take it off depends on what glue
was used in the dots. I've found (trying to get sticky stuff off of old books)
that some things come off with rubbing alcohol, some with lighter fluid, some
with oil - but whatever one works, the other products don't work at all. You
don't want to wind up treating your lace three times with three different
things before you find the one that works.

You've actually got a couple of problems here. One is to get the dots to detach
from the lace. The other is to get the residue off the lace.  Glue removal
products dissolve the glue into themselves. That lessens the bond and you can
take the dot off. But, the stickum isn't gone, it's just dissolved into the
liquid, and so it is thinned out. Volatile oil compounds, whatever they are,
will then dissipate, but they will leave the thinned-out glue behind. So now
instead of a bit of glue where the dots were, you've got a tiny bit of glue
distributed throughout the piece. If the glue removal product isn't a volatile
compound, then you've got to wash the piece - probably soaking it in detergent.

Only you know quite how badly the dot is stuck on, and what it is stuck to.
I'd take it off by pulling if I could at all. In fact, even if I wound up
snapping a couple of threads, I'd rather repair the lace than use a glue
removal product. But, maybe if you're very gentle you  can get it off with
using a glue remover.

Hope this helps.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC