"....our teacher in a lace class today suggested using double sided tape to
help hold the metallic threads in place."

Unless you are using really small lengths I don't see how this would help.
The problem with metallic threads is usually in keeping the hitch on the
head, rather than keeping the thread on the bobbins.

And if you have such a tiny amount that there isn't enough thread to hold
itself on the bobbin, I wouldn't think that double sided tape would hold the
thread to the bobbin securely enough to hold it if the hitch does come off
as you are tensioning.

This is one of those times I would use a knot.  So long as you use a slip
knot, all you need to do to remove the thread from the bobbin is to pull on
the short end, and the knot will open.

To keep the hitch in place with metallic and other thick threads, quite a
lot of UK (and probably worldwide) lacemakers use the tiny sprung hair clips
over the thread on the neck of the bobbin.  Personally I don't, as I have
found that the awkwardness of them being there slows me down much more than
redoing the occasional hitch.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire.