Here are my thoughts on wire lace making. The number one important thing is to
make sure your wire doesn't get kinked. So when winding wire onto a bobbins
from
a spool of wire make sure it doesn't go boing  on you. Once a kink gets into
your wire it will weaken your wire. Sometimes it can be saved by carefully
unbending the wire back to its original direction. Take your forefinger and
your
thumb and run them along where the kink was formed and go back and forth. This
will also get the waves out of the wire if you find you have to undo your wire
lacing. Just take your two fingers again and go up and down the wire to get the
wavyness out. Do keep in mind that once a wire is kinked it will be weaker so
when working with the wire at that point be really careful about doing too much
tugging on it. Do you wind your bobbin from a spool by taking your hand and
purposely wind the bobbin but to anchor the one end of your wire in the hole at
the bobbin of the wire and bend the wire up the shank neck of the bobbin. roll
your bobbin to wind the wire unto the bobbin. When you start to roll your
bobbin..the wire will cover the wire end thereby securing the end to the
bobbin. Once you get the wire yardage or inches where you want on the bobbin
you
then feed the wire through the eye hook that is on top of the bobbin. Take the
other end of your wire and do the same thing to wind your wire onto your
bobbin.

   When working with wire in your lace you actually bend the worker bobbin in
the direction that the bobbin will go before you actually start to weave the
bobbin. I am mainly thinking of tallies in wire. After you bend the wire of the
worker in the direction you are going you then come back to the right and start
to weave your worker through the skeleton frame. Once you get to the left you
again bend the worker wire to the right this time and then start to weave. Once
a wire has been bent in what ever direction it will have a kink starting to
form. You can not take a bobbin and wrap it around a wire and then tight that
bobbin. I think doing tallies in wire is so much easier in wire than in thread.

   You can not rush making lace when using wire. You need to be fully relaxed.
You can not pull on bobbins in the same way you would with thread. Wire will
break and it does make a pinging sound. I heard that pinging a few times in the
wire lace class I took at Ithaca this past weekend.
   When it comes to a time when you are thinning our your wires like when you
are at the end for instance...all you have to do is bend the wire back on
itself.  You still need to cut the wires and you actually take the wires and
sew
with them to bring your ends together. I actually overlapped my ending of my
braid and then took two ends from each braid and over lapped the braids
and then sewed with the wire I left for sewing purposes.

   Once you are done with your piece you can keep all of your left over wire
just by picking up all the wires you have removed off the bobbins and coiling
them together in your hand.

   I have also taught to tatting students tatting with wire. I did this along
with Mark Myers a couple of times. In tattng with wire...it is still having to
be careful not to have any kinks forming.

   Anyhooo....I am not an expert in lacing of any kind. I am just sharing
some of the things I learned in the class I took. I am going  right now to put
few pictures on my blog of the wire pendant/Christmas Ornament in progress on
my
pillow along with a picture of it finished. I will be doing more of this lace
definately. Blog address in my signature. You will also see a picture of Josee
Poupart demonstrating  I did have a real good time in her class and plan to
make
more lace in wire. Next will be the leaf maybe.
   You can see also in the pictures the aluminum bobbins my husband turned and
made for me to use with wire in bobbin lace making. Enjoy the post! I hope some
of my thinking and pictures will help.
 Wind To Thy Wings,
Sherry
celticdreamwe...@yahoo.com