Dear Bobbin Collectors and Christa,

One thing those of us who have been learning about lace for a long time
have learned is - just when you define something, there is an exception.   I'm
afraid your two-sentence question has become a long reply,  Christa:

The German book that Ilske recommends "Kloppel-Kissen-Stander", published
by Deutscher Kloppelverband (German bobbin lacemakers' association), was
discussed here in August 2006.  It was published in 2002, ISBN  3-934210-32-5.
 Four editors.  A separate 70-page  English translation
-"Bobbins-Pillows-Stands" was available.    Out-of-print; mine came from Holly
Van Sciver in
the U.S.

You might find bobbin pictures on the LaceFairy site.  Or, the book  can be
borrowed from The International Old Lacers', Inc. if you are a  member.  It
is listed in their library inventory under History, as  H-117.

Let us "talk" about the spangles.  The Danish bobbins have a large  round
bead-shape carved of the same wood (all one piece of wood, or  maybe glued
large bead attached to the bobbin shank).  This bead-shape  has grooves carved
in it.  The beads appear to be small seed beads that are  strung on wire,
like a tiny necklace, permanently set into the  grooves.  They are not strung
on a wire so that they swing free, like  English Midlands bobbins.
Sometimes suppliers sell these Danish bobbins,  especially at U.S. Lace Days.

The Slovakian bobbins are more primitive in appearance (chunky).  They  are
from one piece of wood that has been hand-carved into 2 or more  "links".
At the bottom of the bobbin shank, they have a carved round  open
link/eye/ring, and continuing with the same piece of wood, the carver  makes a
pendant
with a link/eye/ring at the top that fits in the main  link/eye/ring.  The
bottoms look like large beads/flowers/hearts, carved to  compliment the main
part of the bobbin.  Perhaps you have seen chains  carved of wood,
especially in antiques shops.  It is the same method, and  requires special
carving
skills..

We are still waiting to hear about when the first spangles were  made!  I
think it was not recorded, so we do not know.  Most  people who made the
early laces were not literate, and they lived in a  tumultuous world.  Fires
destroyed everything that would burn, and that was  common in times of war.

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 10/16/2010 12:47:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,