If you have cut the edges of the pricking parallel to the pricking, perhaps
you could wrap a tape or ribbon around the roller at the edge of the
pricking as to act as tramlines; as you work you just need to keep the pricking
sitting squarely between them and do tiny tweaks as necessary.

Obviously it is a good idea to make sure that you have started with your
pricking absolutely parallel to the edge of the roller.  After that, I find it
helps to put a pin or two in as low down on the front of roller as I can
get, to make sure it is feeding straight, and if it's moving sideways a little
this is where you can tweak it; pin in several places across the pricking
to move it back to straight.  A tiny amount of ease just sort of works in,
but if it is more than a a millimetre, you maybe need to straighten it back up
over two or three sections.

I never pad the roller to fit the pricking, so nearly always have a loop of
pricking hanging below the roller - I don't see that your long straight
feed should cause any more difficulty.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire