Hello All!  Thanks to Bev for explaining/describing the characteristics of the 
AL that has been under discussion!  Sounds like interesting stuff.  Just to 
give everyone a good chuckle, I will share the results of my search for a UFO 
(unfinished object) that I brought to Florida in hopes that it could be 
finished in my lifetime.  It's a charming needlelace dragonfly, complete with 
beads & glittery threads affixed to a wire armature & designed by Lynn Payette. 
 The foundation is as far from AL as you can get!!  You guessed it--3 layers of 
craft felt in a Ziploc freezer bag.  Since the little creature is nearing 
completion, I can attest that these materials do work--flexible, impervious to 
stray needle pricks (tapestry) & easily managed in-hand.  This project was an 
EGA seminar piece in 2003, so this particular artist/designer/teacher found an 
AL susbstitute as close as her local grocery & craft stores.  I submit that 
this is not heresy but what lacemakers, embroiderers & textil
 e artists have been doing all along:  experimenting with various products & 
processes to achieve the desired result within a working-comfort level.  No 
matter what materials are used, once the project is off the foundation, the 
lace police will not come get you for using unorthodox methods!  It's sort of 
like sausage making.  You don't necessarily want to watch it being made, so 
let's just enjoy the flavor!  Sincerely, Susan Hottle, Palm Beach Gardens, 
Florida

-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]

Reply via email to