I work at a band uniform company that deals with fabric, threads and
tailoring. Yes I do make use of odds and ends that I collect either for
tatting or bobbinlace.  My wife and I also make costumes every year for the
HS musicals.  So often go dumpster diving for fabric!
During B.C.(Before Computers) the tailors would use this waxed coated
orange, stiff card to draft the garment patterns onto.  It was used millions
of times to trace out patterns on the material before cutting.  Now that we
do everything by computer, I did manage to get my lacing fingers on one of
these huge sheets of 1.5mm thick card stock.  I use it mainly for my Honiton
lace or if I know a lace project will be used constantly.  Of course I have
to preprick(I rarely do otherwise) with the appropriate size pricker/pin.
Can't find any more of these sheets here at the factory.  The patterns from
ages ago are still used here for special creations.  But I am sure there is
some secret stash.....;)  Don't know the actual name of the thick card
stock, other than "tailoring card stock".

--
Mark, aka Tatman
website: http://www.tat-man.net