Hi Everybody:

An elderly lacemaker told me this story back in 1981. She was interviewed by a
reporter for a special interest article on her lacemaking and had her biggest
work-in-progress on display, a Beds piece with hundreds of bobbins attached.
The pillow had to be moved for a photo, and she insisted she move it herself,
explaining it was trickier to move than it looked. But she was old and looked
frail and when it came time to move it back, the nice young reporter leapt up
and grabbed it to move it for her. And of course he dumped it on the floor.

Spurting apologies, he knelt down and quickly hauled it back up onto the table,
tangling the bobbins even further. At which point the lacemaker spoke sharply
to stop him, and then, so he would know exactly what kind of trouble he had
caused, she made him sit down and watch as she fixed the entire pillow. I
believe she said it took about two and a half hours.

I admit I would not have had the nerve to insist that he sit there for hours on
end, but I admire her for doing it.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)