When this conversation began I thought we were all speaking of a cloth gown with lace trim, but this one of Carols, is something else. It sounds fantastic. Having never seen the book, or the pattern or pictures I dont have any concept of the piece, but you set my mind thinking<g>.
What style of bobbin lace is it?  just from a general interest sake.....
The most bobbins I have ever used was 54 pairs for a couple of pieces and apart from the fact that I dont possess 456 bobbins (or 228 either I dont think) I was having trouble with my 28 pairs yesterday, LOL. Mind you that was lack of concentration really:-)
Sue T
Dorset UK

Hello Daphne,
Yes, I made the Christening gown from Veronica Sorenson's book back in the 90's. It took me about 4 and a half years years to complete including the time off from the project to regenerate. I made the yoke, then the sleeves and then the frill. That took a year or so. Then I started on the front which took 2 years. The biggest mistake I made was deciding to make the front all in one piece instead of two as the directions called for. Then I was required to have not 114 pair (228 bobbins) on my pillow at one time but double that amount - 228 pair or 456 bobbins on my pillow at one time. I spent more time moving the stacks and stacks of bobbins than actually making lace. I

It is quite a worthwhile project as when you are done you will have an extraordinary piece of lace.
Best Regards,
Carol Melton
Valley of the Sun
Phoenix, AZ USA