Hi Everybody:

> Are you sure you want to store your bobbins in with these--off-gassing &
all

Here (from this website:
http://www.newsletter.kaijewels.com/silver-tarnish.htm) is a description of
the tarnish-resist tabs:

"Companies like 3M also make anti-tarnish strips that need to placed near
silver jewelry when it is stored. These strips have a substance (activated
charcoal) that helps absorb various pollutants from the air. No chemical fumes
are emitted from these anti-tarnish strips and the process of absorbing
pollutants is a plus point. These strips have an active life and need to be
replaced from time to time, for exact details read the documentation that
comes with the product. These strips help reduce the possibility and speed at
which your silver jewelry will tarnish."

So it looks like they don't off-gas, but must be replaced regularly. That's
where I would fall down - I'd *never* remember to replace them!

But I have another suggestion: about thirty years ago when I was setting up my
apartment I bought some sterling silver serving spoons - not new, they are
anywhere from 50 - 100 years old. Then, at least five years ago, to keep the
tarnish down, I just wrapped them up in a length of old cotton flannel - the
bottom of an old nightgown. And there they have sat ever since. This topic led
me to bring them out, unroll the flannel, and there they were - lightly
tarnished, but nothing a light wash wouldn't fix.

If I had brought them out and used them every month or so, they wouldn't have
been tarnished at all. And the rolled-up silver was just put in a drawer in
the dining room, not far from the kitchen or from one of the busiest streets
in this town, so if that works for me it'll work for you - unless you live
somewhere where there's a lot of sulphur in the air.

The website also said that although airborne sulphur is the main culprit in
tarnishing, other things you need to avoid are everywhere, from oils to wool
(that surprised me).

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)