I understand that I may not know what I'm talking about (or view things in a
very different way, because I do that for sure), but I have to wonder:

Re: judges not touching the lace

Are people afraid that the judges are going to be so rough with the lace
that they are going to tear it or destroy it or something?  I'm not talking
about random passersby, here.  I'm talking about the judges.

Most fairs I've been to (which, granted, haven't been in a lot of areas,
only Tulsa, Winston-Salem, NC, and Colorado) have, at the very least,
something keeping the general fairgoer away from the entries (and this is
all entries, breakables, fiber, eatables, etc).  I understand that some
aren't as secure as others (putting up a rope 4' away from the displays
isn't necessarily going to stop a child who's parents aren't paying
attention to them), but they do have something up.

Note:  All of the competitions I've ever been in are SCA (Society for
Creative Anachronism) related.  I have always had the judge pick up and look
at my work (usually they asked permission, but I went into all competitions
I did with the expectation that they would have to pick up my work to look
at the stitches closer).  They also have always treated my work with
respect, handling it the least amount they had to, and NEVER roughly.  Also,
please note that in the SCA region that I'm in, the way a person's work is
judged is with the person sitting right there, giving information and
answering questions about the item(s) they've entered.  Even so, I've also
left my lace on my table (with children running about) and never come back
to a piece that's been tampered with in any way.

So I guess I wonder if there is really such an issue about judges messing up
already finished lace items?

Bronwen

--
Per pale argent and purpure, two phoenixes counterchanged sable and argent
each rising from flames proper.

"It is sometimes the most fragile things that have the power to endure and
become sources of strength."
- May Sarton

"Only a life lived in the service to others is worth living."- Albert
Einstein

"Out of clutter, find Simplicity. From discord, find Harmony. In the middle
of difficulty lies opportunity." - Albert Einstein

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful
than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have
imagined." - Henry David Thoreau