My students were talking about this in class last night, so thanks for the
link to the picture. Someone thought it might be Irish crochet.

Then as I was driving home, listening to the news, the BBC described it as
"hand embroidered".

>From what I can see it's not either, or needlelace.  Looking at the motifs
on the hat where you can see them more clearly, the "fillings" or structure
of the leaves looks woven and could be made from a bias tape of some sort.
The petals are less clear, but I suspect chemical lace motifs.  I guess that
applied by hand would count as hand embroidered to the uninitiated, in the
same way as Kate's dress was hand made lace.

Very attractive though, and certainly in keeping with the spirit of Irish
crochet.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire.