Hi Linda

To get this tale by the tail, (sorry,
> couldn't resist that), we first need to find the earliest mentions of
> it, then we can understand the context, and the exact way in which the
> words were used.  I still think there may be more to this than meets the
> eye . . .

Just my thoughts, I was hoping that some of the Arachne members would have
come across something.  We are getting information and proof that thorns can
be used for coarse lace, but are they in response to the 'old wives tale'
giving the idea?

I am finding the responses most interesting, but still no proof that the very
fine lace could have been made this way.

Thank you everyone

Alex