On 30/05/2011 14:14, hottl...@neo.rr.com wrote:
Hello All!  For those abroad, we are celebrating our national holiday of remembrance here in the
US--Memorial Day--honoring our fallen soldiers.  So before the picnic begins, I spent a few moments
checking some of my favorite sites&  ran across an article (&  archives) on needlelace from
Cyprus--Lefkara.  www.needlenthread.com  So many pretties&  I wanted to share.  Sincerely, Susan
Hottle, Erie, PA sunny today after last evening's 1.5" of rain&  hail

I visited Lefkara last year and watched ladies making the lace, and managed to resist buying all but the smallest piece - those ladies are very persuasive. The silverwork done by the men of the village is also beautiful and intricate. I mentioned to one of the ladies that I make bobbin lace. "Ah yes, she said, the refugees make that." Apparently she meant the people from northern Cyprus who now live in the south.

Thank you for posting the link - I followed the links in the article and learned more about the lace. Reminded me of my holiday too.

Lesley
Currently holidaying in Beddgelert in Wales.