Hi David:

> For those of you who recently purchased this book, I'm talking about the
> pricking on p27. If you look at the centres of the larger flowers you will
> see some short lines radiating out from it. I am wondering whether perhaps
> they are meant to be raised tallies, or just short lengths of gimp. Either
> way, I'm tempted to leave them out.

Poppies always have this problem, whether they're done in embroidery or
patchwork or lace - the leaves are flat and broad and if you don't think of a
way to relieve that they just look like blobs. I think the lace will suffer for
it if you leave them out, as the lines add delicacy, movement, and direction to
the leaves.

At first glance, I thought they were lines of gimp, but in other patterns gimp
lines have pinholes beside them, and now I think they're intended to be open
veins, created by adding a twist to either the worker or the passive where it
crosses the line. If so, they're easy enough to add on the fly.

Hope this helps.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)