Hi Everybody:

Jacquie wrote:

> Somewhere along the progession of this discussion there seems to have crept
> in a slight inference that speed equals inferior work.  <snip>  for most
> people who work fast, it is because they are handling
> the bobbins  efficiently and moving their fingers faster.  They will be just
> as  meticulous with the quality of the finished work.

I work in crafts (hand bookbinding) and the best binders I know - the ones who
do the finest work and get commissions from all over the world - are also some
of the fastest. My observation is that their speed comes from three sources:

- they know exactly what to do so they never have to stop and think,
- their skill level is so high that each movement can be made surely,
accurately, and quickly, and
- they also know what to obsess over and what to leave. Some things actually
don't matter because they will iron themselves out later on in the process.

I always think of this when I see some lacemakers who tension every stitch and
then later on in the same row they realize that the next stitch sort of
loosened the previous one so they go back and then tension the two of them and
then they do the next stitch and go back and tension all three, etc. until they
finally crawl to the end of the row and then tension the whole thing. Usually
they are making a fairly simple pattern where careful tensioning at the end of
the row is all that is needed, but they don't realize that because they never
try it. As they gain experience their lacemaking will speed up because they
will learn to watch their lace and see exactly when tensioning is needed and
when it isn't.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)