One period of time that has always intrigued me is the so-called Regency period. Or during the Victorian era when young girls were presented at court to the reigning monarch. The young girls of upper society would traditionally wear long white ballgown dresses with trains & tiaras, etc. If I had lived in that period & I'd been presented at court, I think my white dress might have been worn again as a wedding gown. Isn't this a possibility of the origin of white wedding dresses?

Unfortunately the year I was born Queen Elizabeth discontinued the practice of being presented at court. I tried to find out when debutantes were first presented at court & found this article:
http://www.hrp.org.uk/KensingtonPalace/stories/exhibitions/introductiontothedebutantes.aspx
which mentions that it was a 200 year old tradition. Does anybody know who & when it started?

I remember watching the TV series called "Love in a Cold Climate" (1980) based on Nancy Mitford's books & reading them shortly after getting married in 1981 & was then a novice lacemaker.
Pene in Tartu, Estonia