I've just spent a week high in the French Alps and was lucky enough to come
across a French lacemaker demonstrating at a Mountain Festival in Tignes.
Unfortunately my French has been hard hit by spending time in Austria
attempting to use German and the lady had little English but I hope she
understood that I was a fellow lacemaker. She assured me that the gorgeous
chunky bobbins she was working with were specific to Tignes as well as the
hooped pillows she was working on. There was also an exhibition on the
development of Tignes as a ski resort due to the downturns of the late C19th
and early C20th when the population headed away from the high valleys and
farming and other industries such as lacemaking. I was delighted to see a
picture of the 'dentellieres' and have included it in my slideshow of the
lacemaker and her pillows and bobbins on webshots. Please see the link to
have a little look.

I won't bore you with the alpine flowers, the wonderful views, the videos of
the cows parading up the street and the folkdancers - let alone the high
divers jumping from a helicopter into an icy lake! However, in due course
those may well make it to another album.....

Enjoy!

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/slideshow/580711262bzJKdr

Lynne

Lynne Cumming, back in cold, wet Baldock, North Herts UK

image001.jpg]