Hi Everybody:

> Has anyone else tried making lace standing up? When we were in temporary
> accommodation last year the only flat surface I had available was at kitchen
> worktop height which meant me standing as if I was at the kitchen sink. I
> found I quite liked it so now I use a chest of drawers in my "work room"
> (a.k.a. spare bedroom!) instead of a pillow-stand. I think I'd still get neck
> trouble if I stood at it too long but I find my knees and feet tell me it's
> time to move around after 30-40 minutes.

Yes! Not all the time, and I do sit down in classes, but I stand up a lot. I
should mention that for about six years I've had a job that required me to
stand for most of the day, and I walk a lot, so now I can cheerfully stand all
day without any problems. Seven years ago I'd have dropped after two hours,
which just shows what you can get used to.

I stand up because I have some weird thing wrong with my leg, and if I sit too
long I start getting electric shocks inside my ankle. The medical profession
has no idea why this is happening, but if I stand up it's not a problem, so I
just stand up. I like to have the pillow at just about the right height so that
when my forearms are comfortably bent, so sometimes that means jiggering around
with telephone books to get the right height.

I once had a lacemaking teacher who stood up a lot, too.

Adele
North Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)