Hello karen and All,
sorry answering so late. I was away for a seminar till yesterday.
In my wonderful and book about this tapestry are very specific explanations for
your questionsThe point where it was done they wrote that still since the
beginning of 20th century the discussion if it was worked in France or in
England is on. But today the scientist are sure that it was worked in England.
There exist a a sculpture from a church in winchester which was created at the
same time as the tapestry, in 1093/94. And there exist several English drawings
which have the same "handwriting2 as the embroidery on the tapestry.
They explain every detail like horses and rider, working things, details of
battles and so on, and point out if people of that time knew the things showed
on the tapestry.
About the time of the production before 1067 probably. Why, in one scene
Eustatius from Boulogne is identifiable. And he fall out of favor after 1077
because he took part on the revolution in Kent in 1068.
Having read your mail again I have the impression answered the wrong thing.
Perhaps you are interested in my answer too.

Ilske still too tired to read correctly