I never put knots into the lace (only when having to tie off).
I know the approx length of my arms outstretched and pull off using that measure x however many I think needed (or two thirds for smaller things), Lots of lace has multiple workers for diamonds, trails and things like that, but this is literally just torchon ground with the fans running up the sides. I never count turns of thread:-) I cant retain the info long enough, LOL. I have to check sometimes if I am on the second stretch of arms or third as I can loose track of that also during a batch of bobbins. I dont mind the two bobbins not having quite the same amount of thread as I like to add single bobbins if needed but not more than one at a time.
Anyway thank you David for your input.
Sue T
Dorset UK

David Wrote
As a rule I put 4 times the length of the pricking, but still often do too much. However, I would never knot an added thread - simply work double for a few centimeters. That doesn't show either.

One thing I was thinking about today as I wound 100 pairs: are we all obsessive "counters" or is it just me? After I've wound the first pair I will know how many turns to make - today it was 120. But when I wind the second bobbin of the pair I still count it every time, just to see how accurate I was in pulling the right amount of thread off the reel. I can't stop - just HAVE to count.
David in Ballarat