>>>On 23/11/2011 21:14, Lora wrote:
What is it about lace making that keeps you interested and how has that changed over the
course of your learning?<<<

I first saw bobbin lace being made at Haddon Hall about 3 years ago. My daughter persuaded me to have a go and I was hooked. I loved the rhythm of moving the bobbins back and forth. I went to Knuston Hall to do a torchon course and have also attended the Edinburgh Lace Course, other than that, I've learned from books and the internet, with help from occasional meetings with lace making friends. It seems to be the process of making the lace that I love rather than the end product as, unless I'm making the lace for someone or something in particular, it goes into a drawer and is mostly forgotten about. I love the challenge of working out stitches that are new to me, and how to make a pattern work. I also enjoy spangling bobbins - putting together pleasing combinations of colours of beads. I think if it ever became easy I'd give up, but looking at all the wonderful pieces of lace here and at meetings, there are so many different types of lace that I'm never going to get to that stage. I do also like the idea of keeping alive a traditional craft.

Lesley
Marple, Cheshire UK