Hi Jill,
I was taught to use a piece of fabric folded into quarters (finish the edges to
avoid rough edges).  The pattern is traced onto a piece of soft plastic which I
buy in the upholstery department at JoAnn Fabrics in the US, using a permanent
marker.  You have to remember to reverse the pattern if you want the design to
look the same as the original.  The plastic is then basted down to the fabric.
 The pattern done on plastic can be used a number of times.  The plastic I use
is thin enough to be pliable, but thick enough that the needle does not
penetrate it when doing the filling stitches.  It is thin enough for the
cordonet to be stitched down through the fabric though.  Don't know the mil
thickness.

I have only used wire around the edges of a piece to provide stability if it is
to make something like a brooch.  Let us know how you go on if you try it.

Janice

<Hi All

Just before Christmas I took a class in beginners Needlelace - which I really
enjoyed and would like to do some more.

Does anyone know where I can get some architects linen from?

Alternatively - what do people use as a replacement and how successful is it?

Many thanks in anticipation of your helpful answers

Jill
@ London Heathrow - where the wind is getting up!>
 Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA
www.jblace.com
http://www.lacemakersofillinois.org