I make and teach Romanian Point Lace and have always thought that it
should/could be considered a 'Tape Lace'.  It uses the same principles that
Battenberg--couch down the tape/cording and then do needlework filling
stitches to make the materials into a cohesive piece of lace.

Yes the
cording can be purchased and in different sizes.  Sylvia Mirariu used to sell
it.  I have made dozens of yards of the cording for teaching the technique at
needlework shows nationally (Spirit of Cross Stitch and CATS--Creative Arts
& Teaching Shows).  I had to supply a kit for the class so it could be said
that I too sold the cording.  I still have yards of it left over.  When I was
in 'production' mode I would use every spare minute crocheting the stuff so
that i would have enough for my class kits.  At the end of the class I would
'demonstrate' how to crochet the cord.  Those who had crochet experience could
usually pick it up when they went home with my illustrations.

I personally
love the texture and how cheap it is to make this lace.  I have dozens of
balls of crochet thread (from tatting) in all colors and sizes and find the
actual crocheting to be mind-numbing and relaxing.  I enjoy being able to
create whatever color of cord I want for no outlay of money.  I many times mix
sizes/types of thread that I use for crocheting the cord and those that I use
for filling stitches.

Karen Bovard
The ShuttleSmith
Omaha, Nebraska

----
hottl...@neo.rr.com wrote:
In that vein, would Roumanian then be considered
tape lace?  It shares many elements with Battenburg, except that the "tape" is
made rather than purchased.

It was my understanding that the crocheted
"tapes" for Romanian Point can be purchased, too.  I distinctly recall hearing
that you can order various thicknesses.  That would make RP very similar to
the Battenberg-type laces.  The "tapes" are, however, much more 3-dimensional
than any of the tapes I've seen sold for Battenberg.  Jane Viking Swanson
seems to be Arachne's resident expert on those laces, so I hope she will chime
in and correct me if I'm wrong.