---- Manuela Condrau <m.cond...@gmx.net> wrote:
I notice that many suppliers these days carry bobbins with heads in the shape
of a sphere. I wonder what is the advantage of a sphere. Does anyone have
experience with those? Anyone who can tell me pro and con of flat vs. spherical
heads in a Honiton bobbin?

I have not used Honiton bobbins but I would be suspicious of the sphere-headed
ones.  With Midlands and Continentals I find the best heads for holding the
thread are ones that are fairly flat on the "bottom" (the side facing the neck)
of the cap.  The ones that are more tapered, close to parallel with the neck,
tend to allow the hitch to loosen (lengthening the tether) or even come off
altogether.  I would think a spherical cap would be more like the tapered cap
than like a flat one.

On the other hand, don't tapestry bobbins (for tapestry weaving) have a
ball-shaped top?  If it works for them, maybe it's okay for Honiton, too.  I
just would not buy them for fear they would be unreliable.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com