Sandi,
I work almost exclusively in colour and so I'm continually changing pairs
to suit the design. Having been using Gutermann and Piper's silks for over
twenty years, the most successful and unobtrusive way that I've found to
tie off pairs of silk threads is to use a reef knot and a half:
Left over right, then right over left, then left over right again (or you
can start with right over left...etc).

That's the same as what I do EXCEPT I put and extra "over" on the first hitch: i.e. left over right and under AND UNDER AGAIN.

That way the knot will never come undone.
As I've probably said before this fact is also very useful for tying children's shoe laces; wrapping up a large parcel on your own (never need someone else to "put their finger on the knot") etc. etc.

David in Ballarat, AUS