Education Act of 1872, I believe.

Prior to that, I think lace schools in the UK were lace schools and you were
there to learn to make lace, not learn the 3R's.  That changed after 1872.
Anne Buck has a very good section about it in her book on Lester and the
East Midlands laces, if anyone is interested in reading some more on it.

I know there are stories of lacemakers and their experiences on cutting off
day.  There's one dealer in Bedford, I think (don't think it was Lester),
who was known to jam the fingers of his workers in the drawer as they
reached in for a 'reward' if they'd made bad lace.  You could tell those
women, as they'd be walking along the street wringing their fingers.

Cheers for now,
Helen, Duvall, WA, where it's a lovely summery day.