I am reading a book, Cinque secoli di merletti europei, I  Capolavori, in
which there is a discussion about French lacemaking in which it  makes the
claim that the French Parliament saw the demise of the French lace  industry
as a result of compulsory education.
p. 212. Speaking of the French Parliament's discussions about  the failing
lace industry in 1900 to 1903, the book says:
"One of the reasons for this collapse, and all the members of  parliament
agreed about it, were the laws passed on 16th May 1881 and 28th May  1882
extending compulsory education to the age of 13, to the detriment of
professional training."
The claim is that apprenticeship is very long, 4 or 5 years,  and must be
started very early. At 13 the girls leave school and have not time  to
acquire the skills for lacemaking as they must go to work  immediately, and so
have to become housemaids instead. "The speech  goes on to list the evident
advantages deriving from an industry that could  solve the unemployment
problem, stop the depopulation of the countryside and,  because it was made at
home, hold the family unit together."

So, I guess that not everyone sees the benefits of an  education in the
3Rs. According to the French Parliament it made its victims  unemployable, and
destroys family life.

Devon

_lynrbailey@desupernet.net_ (mailto:lynrbai...@desupernet.net)   writes:

I am  glad the children eventually learned more than just lacemaking, as I
think we  are all firm believers in education.  But in those days there was
not  universal literacy, so a lack of the 3 R's in lacemaking schools
shouldn't be  surprising.

Lyn in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA, where we're  having a rainy day.  No
drought here.