Joepie in East Sussex, UK.

From: Earl & Ruth Johnson

The stories about how people were introduced to lace are interesting, and
here
is mine.

I first saw bobbin lace at "Fortress Louisbourg", a reconstructed French
fortified town on the east side of Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada.
.........< One lady visited for
a long time and talked about doing various crafts but she had never seen
bobbin lace being worked. She asked lots of questions and seemed extremely
interested in learning. It wasn't until she was leaving that I noticed she
only had one arm. I have often wondered if she followed up and investigated
lacemaking further. It is always amazing what "handicapped" (I hope that is
politically-correct term) people can do and I am wondering if other
Arachnians
have seen or worked with lacemakers with one arm or, as in the case of
Ilske's
aunt, an arm that is paralyzed.

Ruth Johnson