Interesting question, and my immediate response is ...Possibly not.

In all my sewing experience, I haven't found any machine thread made of linen.
It's the nature of the textile that makes it unsuitable for machines.  Linen
thread tends to be a bit irregular in thickness, and has slubs.  It is also not
slippery.  Thread for machines needs to be very even and smooth, and slide
easily through all the gears.  A sewing machine makes the thread rub against
metal about 20 times before it is sewn in the fabric.  Slubs would jam up the
works.

In history, machine laces didn't become a major commercial venture until cotton
thread became widely available (after the development of the cotton gin).  The
linen thread just would not slide easily through all the slots and gears.
Cotton thread did.

In hand sewing, a person can deal with the thick and thin parts of the thread.

I guess a spool of lace linen thread could be tried in a machine to see how it
responds.  I've never had the reason to try it.  And I have no linen garments
to look at to see what the commercial industry uses.  One of the better quality
thinner linen threads might be strong enough to not break while making one
small garment.

Has anyone on the Lace List sewn a linen garment?  Please speak up. What thread
did you use?

Alice in Oregon --- where it's changed from cold and icy to cool and wet.