The Winter OIDFA bulletin was delivered some time ago, and I was  hopeful
someone who does not write often to Arachne would introduce this  subject.

The 4-page article starting on page 12 is about "100 Years of Czech
Contemporary Lace", by Anna Halikova.  Anyone who attended the Prague OIDFA
Congress a few years ago will remember the incredible originality of modern
Czech laces that were exhibited.  I also remember an exhibit of their  laces,
maybe 25 years ago, at The Textile Museum, Washington, DC.

Czech lace has had government support in the years since WWI.   Now, the
State Institute for Art Industry in Prague and the Atelier of Lace and
Embroidery at the Academy of Applied Arts in Prague are closing!  The  article
lists questions the international lace community should be asking.

1.  What is the future of Czech lace?
2.  How will professional training of lace makers continue?
3.  Who will develop and design the new lace patterns?
4.  Will there be enough qualified lace teachers?
5.  How many art designers and lace makers will make their mark in  this
field?
6.  Will lace become only a hobby?
7.  Will lace makers stay active in handicraft?
8.  Will computers help lace in its future development?

Surely, we have some things to say about this development.

I recommend an old web address to you - Blen - a government-sponsored
virtual museum site, paid for by 4 European nations.  One was the Czech
Republic.  When Lacemakers of Maine first discussed Blen at least 15  years
ago, we
talked about a virtual lace museum for America, knowing that our
government would never support lace as it is done in other nations.  The
result was
"Lace Fairy", which many of you have used.

This is the address given in the OIDFA article:

_http://www.blen.net/blen_11/blen_11.htm_
(http://www.blen.net/blen_11/blen_11.htm)

If you would like to visit a museum in each of the 4 countries, select
Museum History (on left).  It will take you to Spain, Finland, Portugal,  Czech
Republic.

Jeri Ames in  Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource  Center