Two things, first for those where English is not the first language, may I suggest doing what my cousin Ellen and I do. My German is poor, and her English is worse. So she speaks and writes to me in German, and I speak and write to her in English. We each have our little yellow dictionaries, and we get along fairly well. I would suggest that anyone who is at a loss to write the term in English, write those terms in the language with which they are most comfortable. It is probably the most efficient way of doing things. Someone on the list will probably be able to translate it for the English speakers. And sometimes one can figure out what it means from the garble Google puts out.

As for books and the like, I urge anyone struggling with foreign language lace books to try to find a copy of the International Lace Dictionary, last published in Gent in 1998. Edith Spee is the first listed Author. Jeri recommended it back in 2006 or so. It is not easy to find, but it is a great resource. I discovered it when I was trying to translate Ulrike Lohr Voelcker's fantastic beginner's manual. I can sort of do the German, especially armed with a dictionary, but there were words that didn't translate, that I couldn't find, or that simply didn't make sense. At that time there was no translation. Then Holly Van Sciver suggested the dictionary, and everything fell into place. All the missing words were there. It may not be needed for histories of lace, but for manuals it is invaluable. One source lists its locations as the Library of Congress, someplace in Holland, and one other European place. I do not find it on inter library loan. But I bet there are lace groups with libraries who have it in the collection. There is one copy for sale at Amazon.co.uk Wouldn't be surprised if IOLI has a copy. Certainly for those whose native language is not a common one, like Hungarian or Finnish, it would help in translating most of the lace books that exist.

Lyn in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA, where we haven't gotten any snow yet. But it's cold and cloudy and damp. A good day to make lace with a pot of tea. Will spring never come?
-
To unsubscribe send email to [email protected] containing the line:
unsubscribe lace [email protected]. For help, write to
[email protected]. Photo site:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lacemaker/sets/

Reply via email to