This lady was born in about 1816 and married in the late 1830s I think. Her sister was also a lacemaker at that time and I am trying to remember if a couple of their daughters were lacemakers. They lived not too far away from honiton but of course because of Carol Mcfadgeons (sp) work and books we now know there was Devon Trolley lace as well as Hontion lace in that area. No idea what type they did would would love to know. When we went to the area looking for their information with just their names and date of birth we were new to the search but when i found the information I was over the moon to see lacemaker. This was 5 years after I began making lace and a real connection which this unknown lady who was a relative of my lace mother in law. I later bought the first two of Carols books but have yet to try working of the lace which i have promised myself I will.
Sue T Dorset UK

Dear all,
Fascinating topic. I speak with no authority other than Alex Stillwell told me that a woman who was a lacemaker was in high demand as a wife because she could bring in extra money. We must remember that for the lower classes it was a hand to mouth existence, and so doing anything that brought money/food/shelter to the family could be the difference between success and the workhouse. Lace didn't pay well, but it paid, although probably agricultural work paid better for the time spent, so you don't list everything you do to make a living, but it doesn't mean you don't do it. 9 to 5 jobs didn't exist. Lace will wait, can be done in odd moments or bad weather, and the equipment doesn't take up a lot of space in a small cottage, nor is it a large investment in equipment. Men probably could find better paying work than lace in off times, but not necessarily, so it could be a good alternative. For women/mothers, they were more limited because they had to be at home with small children.

Lyn in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA, where the snow is providing the moisture for the spring fertilizing of the lawn. Spread on dry grass, then rain to soak it in.

Sue T. wrote:
A great, g, g grandmother of my DH was down as a lacemaker on her marriage
banns but on all the later census was listed as an agricultural worker
although they had up to 12 children over the years.  Her DH was an
agricultural worker always so do I assume that she brought up the children,
kept house as well as worked on the land some times as well ?    At least
one of her daughters was a lacemaker, so I expect mother helped and/or
taught her during her growing years.  What an amazing woman and I expect
that was more the norm than anything unusual in those times.