Dear Linda, This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.  18 years ago they had
these things more like little cubicles, but a person all but totally blind
could write checks, read things, personal letters.  It might take a bit of
doing, but it will work.  I'm sure your friend is not the only one, as such a
machine has been in use for more than 18 years.  And with flat screens, this is
doable, not just for lace, but for other uses as well, and not necessarily that
cumbersome.  The clarity would depend on the resolution of the screen, how
small the little pinpoints of light are.  Wouldn't necessarily want to take it
to class, but that could be done, too.  lrb

Linda Walton wrote:
>I have a friend who has really poor sight, so poor that she has been
>registered blind for many years.  Now let me say first of all that my
>friend does not make lace, but she does still do similar delicate and
>complicated hobbies.  But her approach is not spectacles and magnifying
>glasses.  Instead, her son has fixed up a web cam which she points at
>her handiwork, and the image is shown on an enormous screen.  It can be
>shown at any magnification she likes, and is very bright and clear.
>(This is probably something to do with the pixels, but that is beyond my
>competence to explain, I'm afraid.) It does mean that she has had to
>learn to look at the screen rather than down at her hands, but I gather
>than it did not take her long, and it also means that she can sit
>without a bent neck - indeed in any postition she finds comfortable,
>even lounging in an armchair.
>
>Hoping this might help, Linda Walton,
>(in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, U.K., where it's still /freezing!/

"My email sends out an automatic  message. Arachne members,
please ignore it. I read your emails."